jEdit is a mature programmer's text editor with hundreds (counting the time developing plugins) of person-years of development behind it. To download, install, and set up jEdit as quickly and painlessly as possible, go to the Quick Start page.
While jEdit beats many expensive development tools for features and ease of use, it is released as free software with full source code, provided under the terms of the GPL 2.0.
The jEdit core, together with a large collection of plugins is maintained by a world-wide developer team.
Some of jEdit's features include:
* Written in Java, so it runs on Mac OS X, OS/2, Unix, VMS and Windows.
* Built-in macro language; extensible plugin architecture. Dozens of macros and plugins available.
* Plugins can be downloaded and installed from within jEdit using the "plugin manager" feature.
* Auto indent, and syntax highlighting for more than 130 languages.
* Supports a large number of character encodings including UTF8 and Unicode.
* Folding for selectively hiding regions of text.
* Word wrap.
* Highly configurable and customizable.
* Every other feature, both basic and advanced, you would expect to find in a text editor. See the Features page for a full list
* Bug fixes
- Does not create backups on exit (#3579788 Jarek Czekalski)
- I/O Error on First Save Attempt (#3574500 Jarek Czekalski)
- Fixed whole word search (#3551515 Matthieu Casanova)
- Fixed a number of scrollbar bugs related to undo, multiline cut,
soft-wrap, and folding.
(Patch#3567959, Bugs #2832769, #2998294, and #3193168 - Thomas Meyer)
- Fix keymap duplication handling (Bjrn "Vampire" Kautler)
- Fix broken macro Files/Glob_close.bsh (Eric Le Lay)
- File status checking before save (#3562315, Alan Ezust)
- Fix "Customize This Menu..." item in context menu options (#3554895 Tom Power)
- Fixed the StandaloneTextArea that cannot load keymaps
(#3562023 Matthieu Casanova)
- Fix a case where a NPE occurs when removing a plugin
(#3557441 Matthieu Casanova)
- Recognizing "Extra word characters" in "Whole word" option in
searches (bug #3522497, patch #3543524 Malathi)
- The macro Display_Abbreviations was broken (#3539691 Matthieu Casanova)
- Fix pressing return in parent files of the VFS browser that do not
browse the selected folder as it should (patch #3543499 by Eric Le Lay)
- New method MiscUtilities.openInDesktop() (Alan Ezust)
- Disable menu bar mnemonics if they are mapped as otherwise defined shortcuts
so that they are not shown visually to the user when they actually do not
work and make sure that no conflict can arise with the default keymap and
any localization (#3528208 Bjrn "Vampire" Kautler)
- Added a new German keymap. Replaced shortcuts that were unreachable
on a german keyboard. Moved shortcuts from German localization into
keymap. (#3572796 Bjrn "Vampire" Kautler)
- Translate underscores to spaces when displaying keymap names in the UI to
eliminate files with spaces in the name. (Bjrn "Vampire" Kautler)
- Fix broken keymap properties (Bjrn "Vampire" Kautler)
- Added russian localization (patch #3544154 Vladimir Avdonin)
- Correctly determine whether Look and Feel did change to not touch it if it
stays the same as this might cause delays and Exceptions.
(Bjrn "Vampire" Kautler)
- The .jedit/modes/catalog is now written using UTF-8 instead of default
OS encoding (#3560800 Matthieu Casanova)